There are innumerable causes of foot and ankle pain stemming all the way from chronic overuse to wearing the wrong shoes. It’s important to maintain proper foot health as it is a critically important component to a well aligned body. Ruptured achilles tendon, bone spurs, plantar fasciitis, sprained ankles, and complications from diabetes are common culprits in foot and ankle pain.
Types of Foot/ankle pain
Diffuse and referred pain often travels between the foot and ankle but may also affect the calf and knee
Causes of Foot/ankle pain
- Peripheral neuropathy (damaged nerves causing numbness, tingling, burning, and pins and needles sensation in the feet and toes)
- Ankle strains and instability
- Achilles tendon rupture/tear
- High arches
- Plantar fasciitis
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome
- Peripheral artery disease
Symptoms of Foot/ankle pain
- Pins and needles feeling in the feet or toes
- Swelling and difficulty walking and using stairs
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Freezing or burning pain
- Sores on toes and feet
- Discoloration and pallor
- Hair loss on the feet
- Weak or no pulse in feet
- Intense pain that may disrupts rest
- Inability to bear weight
- Bruising and swelling
- Difficulty wiggling toes
- Poor gait
- Cold feet
Complications and Risks
Much like the hands and wrists, feet and ankle problems often lead to complications in one another. However, injuries and disease of the feet and ankles may also lead to imbalances that cause issues in your knees, hips, and spine.
- Morbid obesity
- Tight shoes
- Atherosclerosis (clogged arteries) typically caused by poor diet
This procedure involves the injection of an irritant into the soft tissue of a joint that is experiencing pain with the objective of providing pain relief. It basically kick starts the joint and body’s healing mechanism.
Prolotherapy and other injectable-based procedures for the treatment of injured joints, ligaments and tendons.
Derived from autologous (your own) bone marrow tissue for the treatment of knee, shoulder and joint pain.